At. Dr. Fallon Patel and Associates, we have the expertise in managing patients with dry eyes. There are additional solutions to just artificial tear regimens:
- We may prescribe prescription eye drops.
- We offer diet education to help produce quality tears.
- We may recommend hot compresses to also help produce quality tears.
- We may advise on eye lid hygiene such as lid scrubs to reduce lid inflammation associated with dry eyes.
- We may recommend punctal plug eye insertions to block the tear drainage pipe.
Risk factors for Dry Eyes
- Older age
- Female gender
- Environment – allergies, computer usage, dry arid climates
- Postmenopausal women taking estrogen therapy
- Low diet in Omega-3 or high ratio of Omega-6 to Omega-3 fatty acids
- Connective tissue disease – Rheumatoid arthritis
- Medicines – antihistamines, antidepressants
- Lasik/PRK/Cataract surgeries
- Vitamin A deficiency
- Hepatitis C
- Androgen Deficiencies
- Contact lens use
- Medical pathologies – Acne Rosacea, Sjrogrens Syndrome, Psoriasis, Diabetes, Thyroid disorders
- Radiation therapy
- Hematopoietic stem cell transplantation